Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Aifd Symposium in Kansas City


The floral show called AIFD'S Symposium "The Sky's the Limit" was a life changing event for me as a floral designer at 101 Market. I tested for my "AIFD" (this is like getting a doctorate in floral design. Although you can not buy it or go to school for it, you have to test for it and be EXCELLENT) which was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, but right up there with having kids; the most exciting. As a designer you are put in a room with 100 or more people stressed out of their minds for 4 hours and are told to create 5 designs. The membership committee has picked out 5 categories, you are given a surprise box of flowers and containers to use for these designs. You are only able to bring in 4 tools and you may not talk to any one for that full 4 hours. The stress was so palatable in the room you could cut it with a knife. As one of those stressed designers I was tired after 2 hours of designing because of how tight I held every muscle in my body. I did not even know I was doing it until I realised how tired I was. I had practiced for this but of course they gave me different flowers and colors than I had practiced with, go figure. Hum....so you can't buy your AIFD, you can't take enough classes to obtain it, and now you can not even practice for it in a real sense. You can practice techniques but not the total concept of what you will do for the test. I find out some time this month if I passed. So any of you who are reading this, please cross your fingers and toes for me:) If I do not pass will I do it again? If you would have asked me that the night of the test I would have said "No way in H...!" Now I say, "Yes of course I will". I just hope and pray I passed this time! Only about 10% pass the first time so I am not holding my breath but I am thinking positive thoughts! Keep posted and If I pass I will celebrate and let you all know by posting it here. I love what I do, and I will keep reaching for the stars! Lesa Killian, Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment